During the Memorial Day holiday weekend, as you travel to celebrate and spend time with family and friends, the American Red Cross encourages you to use the following tips while on the road to ensure a safe holiday for all.
Get a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit. Shop Redcrossstore.org for all your preparedness needs.
- Buckle up, slow down, don't drive impaired.
- Be well rested and alert; give your full attention to the road.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Observe speed limits.
- Make frequent stops.
- Be respectful of other motorists; follow the rules of the road.
- Don't drink and drive. Designate a driver who won't drink.
- Clean your vehicle's lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
- Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
- Don't overdrive your headlights.
- Carry a Disaster Supplies Kit in your trunk.
- Find out what disasters may occur where you are traveling and how you would get information in the event of a disaster (local radio systems, emergency alert systems).
- Pay attention to the weather forecast for your destination.
- Don't let your vehicle's gas tank get too low.
- If you have car trouble, pull as far as possible off the highway.
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) projects the number of Americans traveling on vacation this Memorial Day holiday weekend will increase 5.4 percent from 2009 with approximately 32.1 million travelers taking a trip away from home.
For those traveling by car, the Red Cross understands that safety is a priority. You may want to consider purchasing a Red Cross Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit to be ready for any situations that may arise. This convenient backpack is available at redcrossstore.org and can be kept in the trunk of your car. It comes complete with an emergency flashlight, radio, light sticks and first aid kit among other items and is available for $69.95. If you use the promotional code SUMMER at checkout, then you can save 10% of all of your purchases. That is a small price to pay when it comes to the safety of your loved ones on the road.
The American Red Cross wishes everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day. For more safety tips check out our Preparedness information; you can also access other tips to stay safe when participating in water activities during the holiday and throughout the summer.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation's blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization — not a government agency — and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.