The American Red Cross Bay Area announced today the recipients of its Marin County Heroes Awards bringing a sense of pride and camaraderie to the Marin community. The annual Red Cross Heroes Awards program celebrates everyday heroes, recognizing those individuals and organizations that make a difference in their community through acts of extraordinary courage and kindness. Among this year’s heroes are a gentleman who saved the life of his neighbor’s infant son and a homeless man who stood up for his community by advocating as a representative for the homeless on various county committees.
This year’s honorees include the following Marin County citizens and organizations:
- Act of Courage Hero: John Beatty of Mill Valley will be honored for his courageous act to divert busy traffic and guide a stopped vehicle off the Golden Gate Bridge after a woman fell unconscious behind the wheel.
- Life-Saving Hero: Frank Antonio of Novato will be honored for his heroic act to save the life of his neighbor’s infant child by performing CPR after the child stopped breathing.
- Act of Kindness and Philanthropy Hero: Grace Hughes of Novato will be honored for her extraordinary kindness in spearheading a fundraising campaign in support of Marin Community Clinics volunteering as Chair of Marin Community Clinic’s Capital Campaign Cabinet.
- Community Service, Organization: The Marin County Search and Rescue Team will be honored for its consistent and continuous work in assisting local law enforcement during searches for missing people in Marin and throughout the state.
- Community Service, Individual: Stephen “Walker” Bonspille of San Rafael will be honored for his remarkable integrity as a homeless man serving his community by representing the homeless on various county committees.
- Animal Rescue Hero: Mary Stompe of Novato will be honored for her courageous act to abandon the safety of her car and rescue a frightened dog dodging traffic on Highway 80.
- Public Safety Hero: Police Officer Kandace Millhouse of Novato will be honored for her heroic acts beyond the normal call of duty to enter a burning building and guide three trapped residents to safety.
The heroes will be honored at the Marin County Heroes Breakfast at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, May 12 at the Seafood Peddler Restaurant in San Rafael. The event will be complimented by musical performances from Gabriel's Trumpets conducted by Frank Davis and theles étoiles youth chorus of SingersMarin directed by Jan Pedersen Schiff. The Novato High School Air Force Junior ROTC will be serving as color guard.
Tickets for the event are available for $50 per person and can be purchased online at www.redcrossbayarea.org/heroes
or by calling (415) 427-8086. All proceeds from the event support the disaster preparedness and relief efforts of the American Red Cross in the Bay Area, including efforts in Marin County.
About the Heroes Awards Program
People in the Bay Area make a difference in the lives of others in their communities every day. The American Red Cross Bay Area and civic leaders from six counties in the Bay Area are joining together to celebrate everyday heroism, recognizing those individuals and organizations whose extraordinary acts of kindness and courage make them heroes. American Red Cross chapters around the county hold events in their communities to recognize acts of heroism by local residents and pay tribute to those who have performed lifesaving acts. Each year, nearly 900 people attend events in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Solano Counties to honor local heroes. For more information about the events and corporate sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.redcrossbayarea.org/heroes
. All proceeds from the events support the disaster preparedness and relief efforts of the American Red Cross in the Bay Area.